lmt

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2016 8:58 am  #1

Kenner Star Wars toy commercials

Hello,

Some of you may recall that way back on LMT 1.0, I asked if anybody could recognize the music used in the old Kenner Star Wars toy commercials from the 70s/80s. Well, it turns out I discovered what they were on my own.
(I forgot if YouTube embeds are OK on this forum like they were on the last one, so I will just use the usual link trick.)

The original ads from 1977-78 used one of two library tracks:
1. "Proud Theme 6" by Keith Mansfield, from KPM 1095 (sped up by about 16%)
2. "March Concord" by Stanley Black, from DW/LP 2977

Later ads used "Fourth Dimension" by Jack Trombey, from DWS/LP 3401.

These all took me a while to figure out:
- "Fourth Dimension" sounds like a Keith Mansfield ripoff, so it took me a while to determine it wasn't KPM, then I heard the track at the end of some Hong Kong movie that some other forum identified as ending with it (while looking for something completely different, IIRC) and made the connection.
- "Proud Theme 6" is sped up, so for years I was stumped as to what it was. I thought I'd gone through every Mansfield track, thought it might be another Mansfield-alike from another library, but then I happened to listen to KPM 1095 again, came to that track, and it finally hit me that it was the same music. (I think I may actually prefer it sped up!)
- "March Concord" was the hardest because I am not good at picking out older tracks like that, and there are so many library tracks that sound like that. But at one point, perhaps because I heard some other march from DW, I decided to just go through the archival marches on DW's online audition database, and sure enough, there it was.

I still don't know the IDs of the honky-tonk piano music in the Cantina playset ad, or the funktastic track in the ad for the totally bonkers, it-could-only-happen-in-the-70s Star Wars SSP Van Set. Anybody recognize them? (Sorry if you have to pick out those ads out of this video, I could look for separate videos for the individual ads too.)

Last edited by TServo2049 (November 3, 2016 9:38 am)

November 2, 2016 4:25 pm  #2

Re: Kenner Star Wars toy commercials

All of these can be found via Soulseek.

Props to you for finding these. I always wondered where the cue that turned out to be Fourth Dimension came from, or if it was even library music. Really glad to have it for my own.

December 19, 2016 10:50 am  #3

Re: Kenner Star Wars toy commercials

Cool!

Board footera