lmt

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 26, 2017 8:07 am  #1

Tracks ID - Themes From Sports Documentaries

I´ve learned that a lot of library music themes were or have been used across multiple sports documentaries, such as NFL, NBA or also NHL or MLB films, particularly regarding the fact that NFL used a lot of in-house composers (for example Sam Spence or William Soden, whose themes were not considered library music). However, that´s not what happens, for example, with NBA films, whose soundtracks are almost exclusively composed by library music themes and, exceptionally, with a few credited composers/groups. I´d like to ask for your help regarding just a few of what might seem library themes that I haven´t managed to track down or identify.

1) Used in the 1987 Drive For Five LA Lakers NBA film

2) This theme was used from 1992 onward.

3) Probably from Bruton, circa 1983.

4) From around 1984.

5) From around 1983, it was used in the late USFL films/highlights, NBC Baseball Game of the Week Pre-Game Show-1984 and also featuring the Local Pontiac Car Dealer Commercials, from 1983 until 1985.

6) From around 1980.

7) Used first in NBA films from around 1991 and then forward. In this particular case, I have absolutely no clue from which library this music originates. Sounds atmospherical and "landscapy" to say the least.

8) From the late 80´s, early 90´s.

10) From early 90´s, used in the 93 Bulls yearbook. Probably from FirstCom Library Music.

11) Not library music, possibly from David Benoit, David Sanborn or Najee.

12) Used in the 1992 Bulls yearbook, sounds like Syd Dale.

15) 1984 or 1985.

I´m giving it another try by requesting ID for three tracks. This might be a very common mistake in my part, by assuming that these might belong to the same library and composer, as they sound alike and probably use same base of instrumentation. Most likely from early 90´s.

16) 

17) 

18) 

19) 

20) 

21) 

23) 

24) 

26) The first 12 seconds of this track are from "Daybreak" - Doug Wood (Omni Music). However, this sounds like an alternative version from Daybreak, composed or at least interpreted by another musician. This version is neither available in Omni Music nor listed as a Doug Wood track.

27) 

28) Used in 1995 Rockets and 1996 Bulls yearbooks.

29) Used in the 1987 Celtics "Home Of The Brave" yearbook. Sounds a lot like the De Wolfe Music works from either David Hubbard or Douglas Hubbard.

30) Used in the 1987 Celtics "Home Of The Brave" yearbook, ethereal and spacial sounds.

31) Used in the 1987 Celtics "Home Of The Brave" yearbook.

33) NBC 1984 Game Of The Week in Baseball.

34) Used in 1989 Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers.

35) Used in 1989 Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers.

36) Used in 1989 Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers, fanfare only.

37) Used in 1990 Pistons yearbook.

39) 1982 Something To Prove (Lakers yearbook)

41) 1987 Lakers Drive For Five

43) 1986 Celtics Sweet Sixteen

44) Larry Bird A Basketball Legend

45) Michael Jordan His Airness

46) 1989 Fabulous Forwards Of The NBA

Last edited by JMTeixeira (October 12, 2017 12:04 pm)

June 26, 2017 12:23 pm  #2

Re: Tracks ID - Themes From Sports Documentaries

The 'Soft Machine' ID is correct.  The Bruton circa 1983 track sounds very familiar.  I've tried to find it before, but never knew where to look.  I'm almost certain I have it.  I'll check out Bruton releases around that time to see if I do.

June 27, 2017 6:02 am  #3

Thanks for the quick reply, as usual.

1) This has a few electronic and techno nuances, not sure from which library. Sounds a lot like Jonathan Hodge´s sports-like compositions.
2) It´s not the version of "Soft Machine" by Mansfield from BRJ 3, since it a has a lot of string nuances that are not present in the aforementioned version used in the 86 Celtics film. I´ll keep looking. Probably might be a Soft Machine 2 or 3...
3) Probably from FirstCom, although I don´t think it´s available online.
4) Please let me know when you find something.
5) I think it may also be from a Bruton or KPM album from the early 80´s. Same thing like with KPM 1292 - Soundwaves (1982), difficult one to find
6) Probably FirstCom or even Turner Production Music from early 90´s, I´d say 1990 or 1991, unlikely to be available online.

June 27, 2017 7:07 am  #4

For N.2 I would suggest to go through the Bruton BRB series Jingles.
Actually, Soft Machine comes from BRB 1, and those albums are quite full of similar compositions.

G.

June 27, 2017 9:20 am  #5

Thank you guys! After checking BRB1 I was lucky enough to bump into similar jingles, as you stated, as there are a lot of themes published in different albums. That led me to the correct theme, which was actually "Major Thrust 1", whose complete version is in 1978 BRL 02 - Industrial Power.

As well, since I´ve already posted this track in it´s respective playlist (1986 Sweet Sixteen) I´ve credited you for providing or even pointing in the right direction as well. I hope this does not come across as downright abusive to you but, if that turns out to be the case, please let me know.

Also, if you eventually find or come across any of the other unknown track, please don´t be a stranger.

Last edited by JMTeixeira (June 27, 2017 9:21 am)

June 27, 2017 11:25 am  #6

I´ve added 7, 8 and 9.

8 and 9 sound a lot like Francis Monkman music themes.

June 28, 2017 4:18 pm  #7

Added nº10, ethereal piece used in the early 90´s. 

July 3, 2017 4:48 pm  #8

Updated, with two more unknown titles added.

July 4, 2017 2:14 pm  #9

Updated.

July 9, 2017 4:48 pm  #10

Updated with 13) Not library music, possibly from David Benoit, David Sanborn or Najee.

Board footera