lmt

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 21, 2017 2:41 pm  #1

Identifying library cues from DOCTOR WHO - help needed!

Ladies and gentlemen, lend me your ears!

I’ve already outed myself as a Dr Who geek. Myself and a few like-minded souls have spent the last few years tracking down the library tracks used in the series (mostly in the 1960s).

It should have been quite an easy task – all the music was supposed to have been written down on a Program-as-Broadcast sheet (PasB) and these are all available online.  The only problem is, these PasBs are frequently useless! They list the a-side when they should list the b-side. They list track 1 when they should list track 2. Even worse, they sometimes list the wrong disc entirely and some cues are missing altogether.

So I was wondering if any of you kind souls would spend two minutes of your lives listening to this:

h++ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eGIlra2e4w&t=0s

- it’s a compilation of the various library leftovers we’re yet to identify.

Tracks four and five have a classic KPM feel to them – Hammond organ ahoy – although they’re only a second long, which hampers things somewhat!

Tracks two and three are electronic and might be easy to identify, particularly as they’re a decent length.

The most commonly used labels were Conroy, Weinberger, Impress and Chappell, closely followed by Southern, then, more rarely, Boosey, De Wolfe, Standard and KPM.

Harmonic, Paxton, and FDH Mood Music never appeared in Dr Who but have been spotted in other BBC shows of a similar vintage.

TRACK LISTING

0’00 – 1. Orchestral  

Almost certainly a library track, although it’s not impossible that it's an excerpt from a classical piece...

0’18 – 2. Electronic Swoops
0’34 – 3. Echoey Piano

These are from a story made in 1970 that was mostly scored from this:

h++ps://www.discogs.com/Russe-St-George-Vorhaus-Standard-Music-Library-Electronic-Music/release/435907

along with a track each from these:

h++ps://www.discogs.com/Georges-Teperino-Cecil-Leuter-TVMusic-101/master/424546
h++ps://www.discogs.com/Georges-Teperino-Cecil-Leuter-TVMusic-102/release/987879

So I think we’re probably looking at another album of electronic music, most probably c.1969…

1’01 – 4. Groovy Pop
1’07 – 5. More Groovy Pop

These are tiny bursts but surely someone here can ID these! That first one in particular has a classic KPM vibe to it…

The rest of these are on the brief side, to say the least!

1’12 – 6. Electronic Tone

It’s not Eric Siday, it’s not Desmond Leslie, and I’m pretty sure it’s not Roberto Gerhard, which rules out most of the BBC's usual go-to people for electronic sounds.

1’17 – 7. Wind

Just an electronic ‘wind’ sound. Could be anything!

The next four probably all have additional treatments by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, some of which may have altered the source sound quite considerably. I’m not hopeful of ID-ing these, to be honest!  

1’25 – 8. Descending Tones (+ slow version)
1’35 – 9. Rising Tones 1
1’46 – 10. Rising Tones 2
1’54 – 11. Crash

1’58 – 12. Drum Roll & Cymbal

This one is quite possibly a recording from the BBC’s own internal library, although there’s a KPM track that is very similar…

There you go. Any positive identifications / vague guesses warmly welcomed!

Last edited by Horror Bag (April 21, 2017 5:45 pm)

April 21, 2017 4:14 pm  #2

Re: Identifying library cues from DOCTOR WHO - help needed!

Interesting and well-written post! I'll have a look.
5 would have to be "Piccadilly Night Ride" from KPM 1027.

Whilst not something I immediately recognize, I'll try to remember these short electronic fragments, so I sometime in the future can go "Ahh, isn't this that one Dr. Who cue?". Heh.

April 21, 2017 4:15 pm  #3

4: Groovy Pop = 'Organ Mania' - Alan Hawkshaw, Keith Mansfield, KPM 1027
5: More Groovy Pop = 'Piccadilly Night Ride' - Alan Hawkshaw, Keith Mansfield, KPM 1027

April 21, 2017 4:21 pm  #4

Oh my God! Thank you *sooo* much! From such tiny extracts too!

*doffs cap*

April 21, 2017 5:16 pm  #5

I've always found Doctor Who library music quite hard to find - I managed to get the Chappell 78rpm of 
'Space Adventure', which is one of the classics of course.  There's a Syd Dale piece which I think was used in The Ice Warriors which turns up in a lot of the Crawfords Australian police dramas too.

April 21, 2017 5:38 pm  #6

Lord Thames wrote:

I've always found Doctor Who library music quite hard to find - I managed to get the Chappell 78rpm of 
'Space Adventure', which is one of the classics of course.  There's a Syd Dale piece which I think was used in The Ice Warriors which turns up in a lot of the Crawfords Australian police dramas too.

I've been able to bag a fair few of the Who discs over the last few years. I originally planned just the get the tracks that were unavailable elsewhere - purely because that was the only way to hear them! - but I quickly fell victim to the collector's bug.

I've also managed to get a complete set of library discs for the first two Quatermass serials, which I'm rather pleased with! (I've released these into the wild elsewhere but if anyone wants them, give me a shout.)

The Syd Dale track I think is "Impending Danger", although that's from Web of Fear. Cracking stuff it is too!

Last edited by Horror Bag (April 22, 2017 5:15 pm)

April 22, 2017 7:35 am  #7

I've been a deep Who fan since it came to the US in 1978, and until I got into library music and the communities about a decade and a half ago, had no clue any library music was used on Dr Who. I see most of your clips are from the Patrick Troughton era, which sadly i've not seen many of as most were lost until a few yrs ago (as im sure you know if you're a hard fan like me LOL).

"Come from Berkeley, Go back to Berkeley - You don't come here no more! Understand!!!!!!!???"

May 27, 2017 10:13 am  #8

Could the unknown electronic music possibly be an Arsine Souffaru? He did an entire LP of electronic music for Conroy.

A good way to get a job in education is to become a bus driver.

Board footera